You already have a Smartphone. Why do you need a watch? Classy watches for men are more than just timepieces. Whether for the office, social event or for that special date, the watch is probably the most versatile accessory worn by men.
Classy watches for men can add a touch of elegance to a smart outfit. A nice watch that matches the outfit can make you stand out from the crowd. Despite the fact that a watch is usually perceived to be an inconspicuous item, it is one thing that can make a man look much more sophisticated than he would have ever been without it.
But you need to make the right choice of an outfit. The effect it has on your outfit is so strong, that it can sometimes make you look sophisticated and at other times you’ll look quite tacky.
...Classy watches for men are more than just timepieces. It is probably the most versatile accessory worn by men...
There are couple of things you need to learn about the Classy watches for men:
Things to Remember in Wearing a Classy Time Piece
A man’s timepiece should never be so fancy that it draws all the attention to it. A classy but minimalist design always looks sophisticated. It is elegant enough to be noticed, but also discreet and understated.
Bulky watches and anything that could even remotely be described as “bling bling” should be avoided at all costs. These types of accessories can be very shabby especially for formal outfits. A simple one with an uncomplicated time face can do the trick.
Not all classy watches for men are equal. Not all the timepieces will be appropriate for certain occasions. Certain occasions demand conformity to a set of standards. You can still stand out from the crowd by wearing an appropriate watch.
A simple dress watch is a safe bet when going for black tie events. A dress watch is simply a leather strap watch with an uncomplicated time face. It is the safest choice due to the conservative and formal nature of this event. Despite its simplicity, it can be a very sophisticated accessory with the right outfit. Unfortunately, it is not always suitable for casual wear.
You can get a simple leather strap dress watch, or a silver or gold diver watch for the business occasion where you have to wear a formal business suit. Either these two watches or a Chrono watch can accompany smart casual suits that do not require a tie. Almost all classy watches are suitable for a smart casual outfit.
The materials used by the manufacturers are not only responsible for the timepiece’s aesthetic value, they also will determine how long they will last. The following are some of the most common materials used for men’s watches.
- Leather: Real leather is often used as the straps on a dress watch. Dress watches are simple in design but can be very sophisticated. The watches are fairly inexpensive.The main problem with leather is durability. You can’t expect it to retain its appeal more than a decade after its purchase. If worn regularly, a leather watch typically lasts about 5 years before it loses its elegance.
- Stainless Steel: They are the cheapest metal watches in the market. They are only a little bit more expensive than leather strap watches. The main advantage they have over leather strap watches is that they are more durable. One of the main cons of stainless steel is that the color is not always attractive. However, modern manufacturers have found a way around this. Nowadays this metal is coated with gold or silver. This gives it the same aesthetic value as some of the most expensive pieces.
- Gold: It is a beautiful, rich and elegant piece of metal. Some high-end brands use this metal to set their watches apart from their competitors. Because gold is malleable, it is usually mixed with other metals like platinum to form a sturdy alloy. This makes it very durable and free from corrosion and scratching. The downside is that the metal is expensive. The price of gold also fluctuates in the market. Sometimes it can be very costly. At any point in time the price of a timepiece will be dictated by these fluctuations.
- Platinum: Platinum is a high end metal that is mostly used by the top most end of the luxurious market. For this reason, it is often chosen for its prestige. It also happens to be very durable and can withstand extreme temperatures, corrosion, and damage. The downside of it is that it is much more expensive than most precious metals and gold. To get a platinum watch, you definitely have to dig deep into your pocket.
- Ceramic: Used only recently by manufacturers in the watch industry. The material is heated at very high temperatures. This helps to prevent corrosion. The glossy material gives it a unique look that sets it apart from all the other materials. The biggest problem with ceramic is that it is very susceptible to chipping.
- Wood: This is one of the new materials that has only been recently used on men’s watches. The rustic appearance can give it a unique look especially given that not many people wear wooden watches. Some of the materials include bamboo which is easily available. Its abundance makes wooden watches very affordable. The main drawback of wooden watches is that they are very susceptible to scratching. They need to be handled with special care. Often the manufacturer will add a sealant to try and extend its lifespan.
- Titanium: The biggest advantage of titanium is that it is lightweight and durable. It is said to have the highest weight to strength ratio. Therefore, these watches are not as bulky as most of the metallic watches available in the market today. It is also hypoallergenic.
- Silicone Rubber: The biggest advantage of titanium is that it is lightweight and durable. It is said to have the highest weight to strength ratio. Therefore, these watches are not as bulky as most of the metallic watches available in the market today. It is also hypoallergenic.
- Carbon Fiber: Just like silicone rubber, it has been adopted by manufacturers. It is not only sleek and modern but also very lightweight. It is one of the materials with the highest weight to strength ratio.
Sampling Some of the Affordable Classy Watches for Men
Ferenzi Unisex | Classic Roman Numeral White Face Black Alligator Style Strap Watch ($14.99)
- Elegant Retro look with black dial and Classy roman numerals in white.
- Crystal Window is both Shock proof and Scratch Proof.
- Sealed to withstand splashes of water.
AIBI Mens Watch Black Leather and Dial Silver Case Roman Numeral with Date Quartz Analog Display [$25.99]
- The time face is an elegant contrast of a dark carbon etched face and white roman numerals.
- Calf skin strap is embroidered with an alligator pattern and it’s comfortable and adjustable.
- Water Resistant.
Akribos XXIV Men's AK870RG Round Silver Dial Three Hand Quartz Rose Gold Tone Strap Watch [$62.99]
- Dark gray dial with brown straps gives it a sophisticated look that is suitable for both casual and formal occasions.
- Stainless Steel coated with Rose gold stone makes it even more durable.
- Water resistant up to 30 Meters.
Budget: $100 - $300
Men's 96E110 Classy bracelet Watch [$144.44]
- Beautiful stainless steel case and bracelet.
- Very accurate Precisionist-class torsional resonator technology that is three times more accurate than quartz.
BOS Men's Automatic Mechanical Waterproof Calfskin Waist Watches 9005 [$124.00]
- Simple and elegant white dial with stainless steel casing.
- Brown Calfskin strap with an invisible double locking clasp.
- Shock and water resistant.
Budget $500 and Above
Men's Russian Diver Tiger Limited Edition Mechanical Tourbillon Bracelet Watch
Elegant Stainless steel tone and buckle.
White time face with an exquisite engraved design.
- Water resistant.
Men's Invicta 12184 Reserve Pro Diver Swiss Valjoux 7750 Chronograph Stainles [$769.99]
Sophisticated distinctly masculine design with a blue dial, with silver-tone luminous hands.
Swiss Valjoux 7750 movement: one of the most popular and recognized movements.
- Water resistant up to 50 meters or 1650 feet.