Did you know your skin is the largest organ in the body? This is not only a fun fact, but it’s important for getting the most out of your health and appearance.
The skin serves as your first line of defense against disease and infection. It also the first thing people will notice about you and has a big impact on your appearance. Our skin takes a serious beating every day from the sun, hot water and other forces which is why doing everything you can to protect the skin and promote healthy cell rejuvenation is vital.
One of the best ways you can keep your skin looking and feeling healthy is by using body lotion. Yet, a lot of men ignore this simple advice. They think that they’ll lose their ‘man card’ by using lotion. This is a mistake for a few reasons:
Ingredients you should look for in your body lotion
- Vitamins and Minerals: It is essential that your lotion contain a variety of vitamins and minerals that work towards repairing skin. These may include vitamins B, C, E, zinc among others.
- Antioxidants: These are what prevent wrinkles and sun damage from occurring on the skin. In fact, antioxidants are perhaps the most effective way of preventing aging (Skin Care Vitamins and Antioxidants). Ingredients like pomegranate and grapeseed oil are chock full of them.
- Sunscreen: It is always an added benefit to have sunscreen in your body lotion as it saves you the trouble of putting on extra lotion, let alone forgetting to put it on when going out in the sun. And sunscreen is simply vital to healthy skin—not only does it prevent burns in the short term, but it plays a critical role in anti-aging measures. (Sunscreen could Slow Skin Aging)
Ingredients you should avoid
- Alcohols: Many lotions contain alcohol, which is actually a bad idea. This is because alcohol dries out the skin (Here’s How Alcohol Wrecks Your Skin… And How To Choose The Least Damaging Drink), instead of giving it moisture, which leads to an unhealthy appearance. Instead of alcohol, look for natural oils to provide moisture.
- Parabens: These are a group of compounds that have been used by pharmaceutical companies for decades as preservatives for cosmetics. These compounds, however, have been found to contain xeno-estrogens, which are potentially harmful substances for health. Not only that, but they have adverse effects on estrogen levels which is very bad for men’s vitality.
Another factor in choosing a body lotion
There are a number of lotion options out there, but how can you tell what’s best for you? There are a few factors that you should take into consideration.
For one, many men’s body lotions are full of cheap chemical ingredients which can be not only ineffective, but harmful to skin. It is in your best interest natural as possible for products that you apply to your skin.
Choosing the Best Body Lotions for Men
Best Body Lotions For Normal Men Skin
Note: A good time to use body lotion is right after a shower. What this does is that it helps the body maintain proper moisture levels. This will help your skin feel fresh throughout the day.
It’s hard to apply too much body lotion, but only apply it when you feel you need more moisture. This often occurs in the winter time, or in dryer climates, though it’s a good idea to use body lotion year round for optimal skin.
Using body lotion for men is a simple, yet powerful way to improve the quality of your skin. Identify which skin type you have, and consider using the recommended product. Your skin will thank you later.
Do you have a favorite body lotion that you use? Share with us below!