Did you know 44% of the bread produced in the UK is never consumed? Our mission is to change that.
We source surplus bread from bakeries and sandwich makers, using it to replace one-third of the virgin grain. We add only malted barley, hops, yeast and water. We contract brew with established brewers, leveraging their expertise to create unique, delicious beers. Our core range beers are brewed by Wold Top Brewery in Yorkshire, one the UK’s most environmentally friendly breweries, with surplus bread from Adelie Foods.
In 2017, we launched with brewing partners in the US (New York), South Africa (Cape Town), Brazil (Rio) and Iceland (Rekjavik). We also collaborate with bakeries and breweries all over the world, and have published a homebrew recipe so homebrewers can join the rev-ALE-ution.
All our profits go to the environmental charity Feedback to end food waste. Global Toasters also support local charities.
Our founding history:
We were founded in January 2016 by Tristram Stuart, an author and campaigner on the environmental and social impacts of food production. Our mission is to end food waste through our four founding principles:
- To produce great craft beer that consumers love.
- To eliminate bread waste directly through brewing.
- To raise awareness of the problems of, and solutions to, food waste.
- To maximise profits to donate to Feedback and international food waste organisations.
Toast launched with endorsement from chef and restauranteur Jamie Oliver, and has been championed by author and campaigner Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. We’ve received global press coverage and won 11 beer and sustainability awards.
Our core product range, in bottles and keg, includes:
- Toast Purebread Pale Ale 5%
- Toast Bloomin’ Lovely Session IPA 4.5%
- Toast Much Kneaded Craft Lager 5%
- Toast Born and Bred American Pale Ale 5%